Typical grudge match ends in draw

23/07/2012 09:06

Tikipunga vs. Central Brown, 21st July 2012

Typical grudge match ends in draw

By Arriane Christie

Tikipunga salvaged a 2-all draw after conceding an early lead to Central Brown in wet and windy conditions at Tikipunga on Saturday.

With the wind at their backs, Central Brown got off to a flying start against the home team and were up by two after 20 minutes.

Their first goal came off a long ball which Central Brown striker Jordan Rudman was able to run on to. Left one on one with the keeper, he slotted it far post to take the early lead.

Soon after, Central Brown put the ball in the net again but the goal was disallowed because their players were offside.

But Central Brown didn’t let up, and in the 18th minute forced Tikipunga keeper Michael Buchanan into making a save, tipping the ball over the crossbar. This lead to a corner kick which Tikipunga had difficulty clearing before Heath Mabbatt put it away for Central Brown’s second goal.

Tikipunga then got back into the game and looked the more likely team to score. Their first goal came on the stroke of half time when man of the match Chris Mitchell was able to put away the ball from messy play inside the Central Brown box. Tikipunga coach, Clive Adams commented that “the tide turned in the first half, and when we got that goal we slowly started getting on top.”

After the break and with the wind at their backs, Tikipunga went straight on the attack and a Steve Crowley shot came off the post. They kept strong on attack but the desperate Central Brown defence held fast.

It wasn’t until the 72nd minute when Tikipunga were able to level the scores. When Josh Morunga was pushed in the back by a Central Brown defender, Tikipunga were rewarded with a free kick just outside the box. North Force fill-in Scott Burgess stood up to take the kick. He powered the ball past the defensive wall and into the bottom right corner.

After a second Central Brown goal was disallowed in the 82nd minute due to offside, the frustration started to show and a minute later Central Brown’s Robert Hunter was red carded for mouthing off to the referee.

Tikipunga also had a goal disallowed for offside and so the final score remained 2-all. Adams said it was a “good old fashioned premier game in the wet conditions.” He also complimented Central Brown saying “they’re a good side, they worked really hard and they are more than capable of footing it in the top grade.”

Tikipunga take on Kamo next weekend in round two of the Stafford Choat Cup.




Tikipunga AFC
PO Box 7008
Whangarei 0144

Ph 09 437 5744 or
Mob 0221 398744

© 2017 All rights reserved.

Create a free websiteWebnode