*Tikipunga hopes fade with loss of trophy*

25/06/2012 12:16

Tikipunga vs. Kamo, 23rd June 2012

*Tikipunga hopes fade with loss of trophy*

By Arriane Christie

Tikipunga’s hopes of a second consecutive league title slipped a little further away on Saturday when they went down 4-2 in a competitive battle against Kamo at Tikipunga. Kamo not only knocked over the defending champions, but won the Dave Wilson trophy in the process.

The North Force players were available for these club matches, so both teams brought in the maximum of three players each. With this extra boost, both teams started the game strongly, at a high intensity.

While most of the first 20 minutes was played between the goal-boxes, both teams had their chances on goal, with a slight advantage to Kamo in shots at goal. But it was some skilled goal keeping from Tikipunga’s Mike Chapman which kept Kamo out.

In the 21st minute of the game, Tikipunga were able to break the deadlock when Tom Taylor intercepted the ball before giving a one touch pass to Mark Ruddell who then scored off a powerful strike.

Kamo struck back ten minutes later when Shane Stanners ran on to a through ball to leave him one on one with the keeper. He made no mistake and kicked the ball past the keeper to bring the scores level.

Kamo almost went one up just before half time, but their goal was disallowed after the referee ruled they had shoved Tikipunga’s keeper in the act of scoring. So the score remained 1-all at half time.

Less than ten minutes into the second half, Kamo took advantage of Tikipunga’s indecisiveness and inability to clear their goal. Jeremy Rintoul pounced on the rebound to take Kamo to two.

Another goalmouth scramble less than five minutes later allowed Kamo to stretch their advantage. Again Tikipunga were unable to clear the ball from their defence and Kamo’s Willie Tigerobo slotted it home.

In the 70th minute, Tikipunga struck back to take the score to 3-2. Chris Mitchell was left with too much room out wide and was able to make a nice cross for Ringa Dalton to finish.

But Kamo weren’t going to let it get close and extended their lead again just three minutes later. From a breakaway play, Tikipunga’s keeper was unable to hold on to a save. Tegerobo took the opportunity to tap in his second.

Disappointed Tikipunga coach Clive Adams said “defensively we played poorly today. We just couldn’t clear our lines properly... We conceded four goals, how much worse could it have been.”

Kamo will take home the Dave Wilson trophy and put it on the line against Whangarei FC next week, while Tikipunga travel to Kerikeri.



Tikipunga AFC
PO Box 7008
Whangarei 0144

Ph 09 437 5744 or
Mob 0221 398744

© 2017 All rights reserved.

Create a free websiteWebnode